/* */ .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

without analysis there's no reason to play.

Thursday, March 10, 2005

Blogging a good career move?

From Tim Bray's blog:

Ten Reasons Why Blogging is Good For Your Career

  1. You have to get noticed to get promoted.
  2. You have to get noticed to get hired.
  3. It really impresses people when you say “Oh, I’ve written about that, just google for XXX and I’m on the top page” or “Oh, just google my name.”
  4. No matter how great you are, your career depends on communicating. The way to get better at anything, including communication, is by practicing. Blogging is good practice.
  5. Bloggers are better-informed than non-bloggers. Knowing more is a career advantage.
  6. Knowing more also means you’re more likely to hear about interesting jobs coming open.
  7. Networking is good for your career. Blogging is a good way to meet people.
  8. If you’re an engineer, blogging puts you in intimate contact with a worse-is-better 80/20 success story. Understanding this mode of technology adoption can only help you.
  9. If you’re in marketing, you’ll need to understand how its rules are changing as a result of the current whirlwind, which nobody does, but bloggers are at least somewhat less baffled.
  10. It’s a lot harder to fire someone who has a public voice, because it will be noticed.



I've always thought that blogging would have beneficial implications career-wise, though I've never thought about why I think so. I've been heavily debating with myself over whether or not to publish my blog url in my resume.

On the benefits side, if the prospective employer follows the URL, they'll get a much clearer insight into who I am, what I do, that will help them determine whether or not I'm compatible with their company, even pre-interview. They'll also be able to find out much more about me than I could ever possibly convey in a CV/Coverletter arrangement. Overall, I think that this is a good thing. I like to think that employers value honesty. What could be more honest than a blog?

On the otherhand, blogging is still a relatively new phenomena. When I tell people I blog, I still get "You what?" replies more often than any other response. I mean just how newish-technology-friendly are the people most likely to read your CV? I'm worried that potential employers will take the "He blogs. He could be liability" stance rather than the "He blogs. Let's hire him!" stance. Gross oversimplifications notwithstanding, what do people think about inclusion of blogging and blog URL in the interests section, or even the personal details section of the CV?

I'm seeing the careers counselor next week, and this has been a stumbling block for me. I wonder what Ivan thinks, since if I recall correctly, he started blogging just before he started working with his current employer.

2 Comments:

Blogger Elle said...

I've been dealing with the same issue, as I ponder how to best position myself for a career change (into management).

In my case, I have a full website that my blog is only part of. I intend to use my eleanorholmes.com URL in any self-promotional materials I generate - well, once the site's fully uploaded, anyway.

At that point, I'll also be putting a public statement on my blog, making it clear that I don't intend to blog on any work-related issues in any way that could affect an employer. (Heck, I've refrained from it so far, and my current employers are very rantable-about.)

I figure that's the best compromise I can make.

12:40 pm

 
Blogger MT said...

I wonder if anyone's compiled a list of blog friendly employers. Blogging's become such an integral part of my life now that a company's blog friendliness would play a significant role in deciding where I'd like to work.

Presuming, of course, that I end up on the choosing end of the spectrum rather than the begging end.

11:38 pm

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home