/* */ .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

without analysis there's no reason to play.

Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Firefox and HSBC Australia Internet Banking

HSBC's Internet banking service lately hasn't been playing nicely (for me anyhow) with the Firefox browser. I spent this morning trying to figure out how to make it work, and stumbled upon the User Agent Switcher plugin. Using this, I was able to identify as MSIE 6.0 (Internet Explorer), and successfully login to HSBC. After getting past the login screen, I needed to open the next page in a new window so that I had access to the menu again. I then identified as default again (Firefox).

This was needed since HSBC requires DOB confirmation for electronic transfers. The javascript code that verifies the validity of the DOB entered is browser-dependent. If I stayed identified as Internet Explorer, the code would popup an error telling me to enter a valid year between 1850 and 105. By identifying as Firefox again, the javascript code works correctly, and the DOB confirmation is successful.

So while it's a fiddly process, it is nonetheless possible to use HSBC's web banking on Firefox on a Windows or GNU/Linux system. For Macs, HSBC seems to skip the browser check altogether and I was able to logon using Safari and Camino.

Look, I just don't like IE, ok? I don't trust it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home