/* */ .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

without analysis there's no reason to play.

Sunday, April 03, 2005

Playing with new GNU/Linux toys

I've spent the last few days playing around with some pretty bleeding-edge GNU/Linux toys. I've now got beagle and tomboy installed, as well as the OpenOffice.org 2.0 beta.

Beagle is an awesome "personal information space" searching tool. It can index all files you create/download, IM conversations, RSS feed-items that you've read, emails you've sent/recieved; basially any information you've written/seen on your computer. It's really quick too! I type for example transport, into the Beagle Search Tool, and get this in around 3-4 seconds:

Beagle

Nifty, huh?

Tomboy is another cool mono app. It's a note taking application. It doesn't sound very exciting, but this baby has the potential to save me from having to search my room for random post-its. You can highlight any phrase in any note, and create a new note that's linked to the old note. Here's the screenie:

Tomboy

Each red underlined phrase in the note shown links to another note with more information, more notes, etc. This is another amazingly useful application.

As for OpenOffice.org 2.0 beta? Well that's awesome too, but the major reason I upgraded that is because the Fedora Core package for OO.org 1.1x list some GNOME 2.8 libraries as dependancies. I'm intending to play with more cool mono apps (i.e. muine) that seem to require portions of GNOME 2.10. Hence the OO.org upgrade. That being said, installing software clearly marked beta when you need to use it to finish a group assignment for the day after is perhaps not the best idea. Still, so far OO.org 2.0 beta looks a lot cleaner, and seems to load up faster to boot.

I'm finding these days that GNU/Linux is a more comfortable environment for working in. The only times I use Windows now is when I want to play Chess ala Chessmaster.

2 Comments:

Blogger The Legal Janitor said...

hey hey, which distro are you using?

5:39 pm

 
Blogger MT said...

I'm running Fedora Core 3 on my laptop. I've played around with Gentoo previously, and am currently signed up for the Ubuntu 5.04 (Hoary Hedgehog) CDs. IIRC, you used Ubuntu?

9:33 pm

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home